If a campaign has been selected in one automation, it is not available for selection again in the same automation or in another automation. However, there are ways to work around this. Continue reading to learn about your options.
1. Duplicate the campaign within the same automation
If you want to use a campaign more than one time within the same automation you can utilize the duplicate step function in the automation designer.
- Find "Duplicate step" on the right side of the page, under the editor.
- To use it, drag-and-drop "Duplicate Step" onto the campaign step to be copied in the automation.
- A pop-up will open to edit the copied campaign. Click "Edit Campaign" to open the copied campaign & edit now. This is a required part of the process whether you do it now, or click Ok and come back to edit it later. All steps of the campaign process must be completed, including testing.
- The copy of the campaign step will be created immediately under the original. Drag it to the desired position in the automation workflow.
2. Save the campaign design as a template
If you want to use the same campaign in separate automations, you can turn the design into an email template. Once it's an email template, it can be pulled into new campaigns in the same or separate automations. To do this, you will need to edit the existing campaign within the automation.
- Go to the Automation dashboard. Locate & edit the automation that includes the campaign you want to re-use.
- Inside the automation designer, locate & open the campaign step by clicking the pencil icon.
- A pop-up will open with options to "Choose a Mailing" or "Edit Mailing". Click on "Edit Mailing".
- The campaign workflow will open. Navigate to step 2, Design.
- On the right side of the page under the editor, click the "Save Design as Template" button.
- A pop-up will open. Provide a name for the template in the "New File Name" box. Then, click "Ok".
- Now that the design has been saved as a template, you will need to exit the automation and go to the Assets dashboard to finalize it. Finalizing a template includes testing it and changing the status of the file to complete. All email templates must be tested once before the file can be changed to the complete status.
- Once the template is complete, you can choose it for any campaign going forward.
Using the duplicate step option in an automation that is running will require that the automation be stopped first. You can resume the automation when you are done making adjustments to campaigns within it. See these related help articles:
- How do I edit campaigns in a running automation?
- What happened to contacts in an automation that is stopped then resumed?
- How do I resume my stopped automation?