"Email Templates" are email designs that you plan to re-use when creating Campaigns. There are two kinds of email templates in the system:
- Draft Templates: design files that are still being created, tweaked, or approved.
- Complete Templates: design files that are ready for use. Only templates in the complete status are available to select when creating a campaign.
We recommend creating a library of template files that cover the typical layouts of the emails you send. For instance, create a template file for e-news communications, another for sales promotions, and another for product updates. The purpose of a template library is to provide a starting point that includes majority of your design elements, allowing you to quickly replace text and images when creating a campaign.
- Navigate to the Assets dashboard. It will open to your Email Templates library by default.
- Click the "Create Template" button at the top-right of the page.
- Enter the File Name (required) and Sender Name and Address (optional), Subject line (optional), Preheader (optional), and/or Footer (optional) and then select "Save and Next".
- In step 2, Design, choose how to start the design of the campaign.
* Start from Blank: One row file, build out from scratch.
* Start from Paste: Paste HTML code to begin design.
* Start from Upload: Upload a HTML file created in another system.
* Start from Template: Choose a template from your library, or the stock template library provided.
- Based on your selection, you will be dropped into the drag-and-drop or HTML editor depending on which is appropriate for your choice. Note: Paste or Upload HTML options will bypass the drag-and-drop editor and open a basic WYSIWYG editor. Once in the editor, utilize the tools available to make any adjustments necessary to your template. Pictured below is our drag-and-drop email editor.
- Once you finish your edits, click "Save and Next" (in the Save drop-down) to preview the design file.
- The preview is based on the browser rendering rules you are currently using. For additional rendering insight, we offer an Email Rendering Integration (seen right) that allows you to view rendering for specific email clients.
- Click "Next" in the preview step to move into the last step, Test. Testing allows you to see how the template renders in your inbox. When you are done testing, click "Exit". You will return to the Email Templates page.
- Be sure to change the status of your email template to complete when the design is final. Click here for steps to change the template status to complete.
- An email template must be tested at least once before it can be changed the the completed status.
- For instructions on saving email templates to your Template Repository account, click here.
- For instructions on saving email templates to multiple accounts, click here.
Learn more about our drag-and-drop editor.