It's important to have a thorough plan for your automation before you dive into building it. We suggest mapping it out --there are setup pieces that must be complete prior to building the workflow in the Automation dashboard.
1. Identify the goal for your automation.
Knowing the goal will help you identify how many campaigns and what actions to include in your workflow. An informative campaign may be as simple as 3 campaigns plotted out across 10 days. A cross sell automation may be more complex and include several branches in the workflow.
2. Setup all campaigns to be included in your workflow.
Having all needed campaigns created prior to starting the build will ensure a smooth process. This includes the target segment for the kickoff campaign. Consider whether or not you are using behavioral flags (such as opens and clicks) and if you would like to exclude users that have behavioral tracking disabled (tracking = Not Allowed).
3. A note about mailing types:
- The kickoff (1st) email of your automation must be a Regular, Triggered, Automated or SMS type.
- All subsequent emails must be the Automated (or SMS, if applicable) type.