There may be instances where you need to evaluate several values in a demographic field for a segment. You can save time using the IN or NOT IN operators when building your segment. (IN means you're looking for the values entered; NOT IN means you're looking for anything but the values entered)
For an example, let's say we want to find all contacts NOT IN the states of Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky.
- Navigate to the Contacts dashboard
- Choose Segments from the left-hand navigation
- Click the Create a Regular Segment button at the top-right.
- Enter name and description for the segment
- Open the Select Field drop-down and search for your demographic field (like State)
- Select 'NOT IN' from the operator drop-down menu
- Enter applicable value and click the Add button (there is also an import available)
- Repeat for each value
- Click 'Ok'
- Click 'Save and Test' to see your results
IN and NOT IN operators are available for text or numeric fields only.
Use "Download my data values" to see all of the entries for the chosen text field (in this case State) to make sure you are not misspellings, etc.
Looking to see if a contact is in or not in multiple categories? Follow the steps from this article.