Sometimes segment cleanup is necessary. If you want to simply get rid of old segments, but not necessarily the contacts belonging to those segments, you can delete that segment following the steps below.
- Go to the Contacts dashboard
- Choose Segments from the left-hand navigation
- Hover over the segment you would like to delete and click on the "Edit" drop-down that appears at the right.
- Select Delete
1. Deleting a segment or a category will only remove the query, all contacts that were in that segment (or category) will still be in your contact database.
2. Keep in mind that you want to make sure you have not sent a campaign to a segment you want to delete in recent history as it will affect reports. You will get an error message if the segment was attached to a recent campaign. If you do not need the segment for reporting you can continue past this error.
3. If you need all the contacts in a segment deleted, please contact us at email@example.com unless you have the ability to Remove contacts enabled. Let us know your list name and the name of the segment you need deleted.
4. If you have the ability to delete contacts in your account, first download the contacts in the segment or category (open the segment and choose "save and test" and then Export All to Excel). Import this list under Contacts > Delete Contacts (button on right of Contacts page).