You can use contact data or behavior to target contacts for campaigns using our Segment builder. The example below uses a Text clause type to evaluate the Industry field.
- Navigate to the Contacts dashboard.
- Choose "Segments" from the left-hand navigation.
- Click the "Create Email Segment" button at the top-right.
- Choose Regular or Triggered Segment from the pop-up, depending on if this is a segment for a regular, dedicated send or a triggered campaign (triggered off of a date or action taken). In this example, we will choose Regular.
- Give your segment a name (no special characters) and an optional description.
- Open the Select Field drop-down in the segment builder area of the page. Then, scroll to find or use the search option to find the database/demographic field you would like to segment on. In this example, we use the search option to find the Industry field. Click on the field name when located to select it for use.
- Once your field is selected, a pop-up will display to complete the clause:
- Contact text field. The field you chose on the previous step. If you need to change it, click the drop-down to reselect a field for the clause.
- Download my data values. Provides an opportunity to download and view a list of all possible values stored in the chosen field. For accounts with custom tables, you will see Review my data values instead of the download. All values will display on-screen in this case.
- Is. The operator for the clause evaluation. Options include equal to, not equal to, greater than, less than, contains, does not contain, in, not in, and more, depending on the field chosen.
- Value. Enter a specific value to be used for the clause.
- Text field. Allows comparison of data in two selected fields.
- Open the "Is" drop-down and select the operator to be used. In this example, we will choose "equal to" so that we build a clause that will look for an exact match.
- In the "Value" box, we will enter Media. This is the Industry we want to find to target contacts.
- Click the "Ok" button to insert this clause into the segment builder.
- If more clauses are needed to continue refining the target audience, repeat the steps above to add additional clauses to the segment. You can add separate groups of clauses too!
- When the segment is complete, click the "Save and Test" button.
- Testing the segment will run the clause(s) to pull the list of contacts that meet the criteria. Easily verify results by clicking on column header names to sort data on-screen or use the export option to see a full list in Excel.
Learn more about Segments here.
The clause menu organizes clause types into groups. Below are brief descriptions of common groups you might encounter. Depending on your license and other products purchased, you may see more groups.
Actions. Build clauses based on campaign recipient's activities such as open, did not open, clicked, did not click any URL from any campaign, or a specific campaign. You can also use tracked behavior from social share buttons in your campaign to create segments. If you utilize our clickstream integrations, you will also see Browse and Purchased clauses.
Score. Build clauses based on our default Lifetime Engagement scoring system to identify contacts that are most or least engaged in your campaigns. If you utilize our Lead Score or Advanced Engagement scoring systems, you will also see clauses for those fields in the Score section of the menu.
Groups. Build clauses based on contacts being inside / outside a Zip Code radius, or in / not in a category. Additionally, you can build clauses based on a specific set of email addresses, the presence of an email address, or contacts that are also administrators of the account.
Contact fields. Build clauses based on data stored in contact demographic fields. This process is outlined above in this article.