By default, anchors are not trackable links. However, there is a way to track anchors as actual links with a bit of manual work. You will need to create the campaign as a template before adding it to the Create a Campaign Workflow. Follow the steps below for each anchor in your template.
- Navigate to Assets and create a new template or open a draft template.
- Design your email within the editor and Save.
- Go back to the Assets page and hover over your template name. Click the Edit drop-down that appears to the right and choose "Online Version".
- This will open a new browser window. Copy and paste address from address bar of new browser window. (Paste to Notepad - this URL will be used in a later step.)
- Open your template file (choosing Edit from the hover drop-down).
- Insert first anchor in front of the text (or on the image).
- Highlight the text (or select the image block) that will be linked to lead to the anchor assigned in the step above. Choose the 'Anchor' link type.
- Select the anchor from the drop down menu to link to.
- Copy the anchor link displayed. (Paste to Notepad, will be used in a later step.)
- Without closing the Insert Hyperlink window, switch the Hyperlink Type back to 'Normal'. Paste in the Online Version link into the Web address box. Then, paste the anchor (also copied previously) at the end of the online version URL.
- We recommend you assign a Link Reporting Name to this custom link to aid in identification in campaign reports.
- Click 'Insert'.
- Repeat as needed for all anchors in the content file.
- Make sure to "complete" your template before creating a campaign in the Campaigns dashboard.
- Don't edit the anchor link if you don't need to because the online version link will be stripped out and you will have to walk through all of the above steps to re-add it.
- The hash portion of the URL isn't transmitted to the server, so it cannot be captured for reporting. This is why you should use Link Reporting Names when creating the link to distinguish them.
- The online version link generated in the editor doesn't include the memberguid or list ID so Clickstream and Google Analytics tracking isn't possible on these anchors links.