When using merges in campaigns, it is important to consider the possibility that not all recipients may have a value stored in the field being merged. You can set default values for fields to account for the lack of data when using merges. This can be accomplished in a couple of ways, outlined below.
1. Export your contact list and identify contact records that have no values for a specific demographic field. Update the CSV to include generic values for those contacts and re-import the file to update the database.
2. Set a default value for the demographic field in your Contacts dashboard.
- Go to Contacts
- Click "Configuration" from left menu
- Click "Custom Fields" to access all demographic fields
- Locate (or search) for desired field name
- Hover over listed demographic field and click "Edit" (right side of page)
- In the pop-up, enter the default value in "Merge Options"
- Click Ok
Be sure to go back to your campaign (or template) to insert the merge tag for the demographic field. Setting a default is only one step in the process of utilizing merge tags to personalize your campaigns.
See this article for a list of common merges used.