The Custom Report Builder and Mailing Overview report offers open environment tracking. This means you can see tracking by email clients, reading environments, and client platforms based on where the open occurred. Below are common terms and their definitions.
Represents the Email Clients or Browsers where an email is opened. "Other" means a Browser is populated, but not one we can identify. Some examples are: Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird.
Represents whether the email is opened on a mobile device, using a desktop application (i.e. Outlook), or using a web Browser.
- "Desktop" is an application, like Outlook or Thunderbird.
- "Web" is Browser based email clients like Yahoo.
- "Mobile" is an application on a mobile device like Apple Mail.
- "Unknown" represents no value returned from the browser or email client because it's an environment that doesn't conform to standards.
- iPhone users with Apple Mail Privacy Protection enabled on the device will be reported as "Unknown".
Represents what type of device is used to open an email.
- Open environment reporting is available to give you insight into your audience on a campaign-by-campaign basis. Pulling a list of contacts by environment, email client, or platform is not available.
- If you are looking for this kind of contact information, you can click into the Total Opens in the Mailing Overview report to see this data for each individual contact and export it.
- General environment segmentation can be created in the segment builder for Desktop vs. Mobile vs. Web. When building a segment using an action clause, you will see a drop-down menu for the environment:
- It is important to understand that the privacy protection settings Apple released in the fall of 2021 will impact the accuracy of both of these reports. Please visit the following resources for FAQ and recommendations regarding tracked activity & Apple Mail Privacy Protection.