When importing a CSV file of contacts into your account you can include data that will add them to an existing segment, or you can tag that import with a name, called a category. Using segments and categories in the system allows you to target specific sets of contact lists for campaigns.
Import a CSV and add the contacts to an existing category
- Navigate to your Contacts dashboard.
- Click the "Import Email Contacts" button from the top-right of the page. A 3-step workflow will open.
- In Step 1, click the Select file" button. Find the CSV file that is saved on your computer. Click the "Next" button.
- In Step 2, match your column headers (seen in the left column) to the appropriate demographic field using the drop down menu for each row (seen in the right column). Click the "Next" button.
- In Step 3, scroll to the section named "Assign Categories". Locate & check the box for the existing category the the list of contacts should be added to in the account.
- Click the "Import" button to start the import of data.
Import a CSV and add contacts to an existing Segment
- If needed, review the existing segment in your account to confirm field(s) and value(s) of clauses. Update your CSV file to use the correct column headers and values.
Example: I want to import a list of Contacts and add them to my Active Customer segment. First, I need to know the conditions of the existing segment in my account.
To do this, go to Contacts and click "Segments" from the left menu. This opens the Segment library.
Scroll or use the search option to find the segment.
Hover-over the segment name and click the "Edit" button that appears.
- When the segment is open, I will see the clause(s) used. Note the field name and the value. In this example the field name is Contact Type and the value is Active Customer.
- Open the CSV file to add a column for Contact Type and enter the value of Active Customer for each contact row. Save the CSV.
- Import the CSV file. There is not a need to create a new category, or select an existing category, unless that is also needed for your use case.
When you create a category during the import process, it's important to note the option "expires".
- If this option is set to "No" the category will be kept permanently.
- If this option is set to "Yes" the category will expire after 30 days of non-use. Only the grouping of the category and it's name will be deleted at 30 days, not the email addresses that were associated with it.
- The only time we recommend using the "expires = yes" option is if you're using an outside system to pull your contact lists and you import them ahead of each campaign in Delivra, essentially, never using the same list twice.