What is a confirmed opt-in email?
This type of automated campaign is sent to confirm email subscription. There are two types:
Single opt-in - A message to confirm that email subscription was successful & that they will begin receiving emails from you in the future. There is no action required on the subscriber's end.
Double opt-in - A message to confirm that the subscriber wants to join your email list. Until confirmation is received, they will not be sent emails from you. Action is required on the subscriber's end. A double opt-in process ensures that subscribers are real people – not spammers using fake addresses. And, some countries (Australia, Germany & other EU countries) require a double opt-in confirmation for email marketing subscriptions.
In this article, we will cover the process to set up a double opt-in confirmation campaign. The double opt-in will require use of a Delivra link for the confirmation action to work correctly. External confirmation links cannot be used in this type of campaign.
When should a confirmed opt-in be sent?
Immediately following subscription.
- Navigate to Campaigns.
- Select "Create Campaign" in the top-right corner of the page.
- Select "Automated" on the left menu. In the sub-menu select "Confirmed Opt-In"
- Click the "Save and Next" button.
- In the design step you will create a button link or a text link for the confirmation action. Choose the hyperlink type "Needs confirm":
- Follow the rest of the Create a Campaign Workflow as normal through your Preview and Test steps.
- In the Activate step, set the Campaign Status to "Running" to turn the campaign on. Notes:
- The campaign must be set to running in order for it to be sent.
- The campaign will not be sent until the next form submission, API call, or CSV import occurs to call it.
- You can return to the campaign anytime and turn it off by selecting "Not Running".
- Optionally, add the campaign to a report group for easy performance tracking and/or apply Lead Score settings.
How are automated confirmation emails sent?
Welcome and confirmed opt-in campaigns can be configured to send when a form is submitted, when a CSV import occurs, or when new contacts are added via API.
- Form submission - Assign your automated message to a form. In the form editor, navigate to the "INFO" tab (right side). Choose the type of automated message from the "Automated Sign Up Message" drop-down:
- CSV import - In the last step of the CSV import process, open the "Import Action" menu. To send a your welcome, select "Import as regular contacts and send hello message". To send your confirmed opt-in, select "Import as unconfirmed contacts and send confirmation request":
- API - A contact status of needs-hello can be sent with the call to add a new contact & send a welcome. Or, use needs-confirm to send a confirmed opt-in.
What if the recipient doesn't click the confirmation link?
The recipient of a confirmation email will be placed in a contact status of 'confirm' in your Delivra account. If they click the opt in link, they'll change to normal status. If they don't choose to opt-in, they will always remain in a confirm status and no mailings will be sent to them.
Article is closed for comments.