A triggered campaign is an automated campaign type that is sent based on either a date stored for or an action taken by a Contact.
Triggered campaigns can be an alternative to Automated hello/welcome because they can be segmented to target the audience. For instance, subscribers through a form vs. subscribers through a Text-to-Subscribe keyword.
Create the triggered segment.
- Navigate to the Contacts dashboard and click "Segments" from the left menu.
- Click the "Create Email Segment" button in the top-right of the screen.
- Choose "Triggered Segment" from the pop-up menu.
- Give your segment a name and description.
- Click open the "Select field..." menu in the "Find contacts based on this trigger event" clause box.
- Scroll through the menu to locate and choose the date you want to use for the trigger event.
- Once a date field is chosen, note the additional drop-down menu displayed to the right:
- Exact Date and Time - When selected, the system will take the year into consideration. Typically Exact Date and Time is used for new subscriber welcome segments, post-purchase trigger segments, etc, where the exact date should be evaluated to find matching records.
- Anniversary - When selected, the system will ignore the year. Typically Anniversary is used for Birthdays or other dates that you want to evaluate on a yearly basis, not just the first time.
- Below the trigger event clause box, optionally include additional clauses to further refine the audience to receive the campaign.
- Click the "Save and Test" button to complete your segment and verify it is pulling contacts correctly.
Create the triggered campaign.
- Navigate to the Campaigns dashboard.
- Click the "Create Campaign" button in the top-right of the page.
- On the Setup step (Step 1), for the campaign type, choose "Automated Email" and then choose "Triggered".
- Follow the rest of the campaign setup process as normal until the Schedule step (Step 6).
- In the Contacts step (Step 3) you will only be able to choose a Triggered segment, no regular segments or categories will be available.
- In the Test step (Step 5) you will enter two dates to create a window. This date range allows the system to evaluate all data in the window to see if there are any contacts that match the criteria. It is required for testing even if no contacts will actually match at the time of testing.
- In the Schedule step (Step 6) choose your first send time, how often to check for recipients, how far back you would like to look for relevant recipients, and timing of the send (immediately vs. sending before or after the date used in the segment). We also recommend creating a Report Group for reporting purposes.
- Click the "Save" button. Once saved, the triggered campaign will run at the frequency set. For instance, if you set "check for recipients every 1 days", the campaign will send at the same time every day to recipients who met criteria since the last time the campaign sent.
- Triggers are available at the Professional license.
- You may also consider the use of triggered automation. See this additional help article for more info.