Let's say you have a list of emails you need to change to a new contact status like unsubscribed, held or expired. You don't have to update each one manually! To update email addresses in bulk, follow the process below.
1. Create a .csv file of addresses needing to be changed.
2. Set up your file to include two columns EmailAddr and MemberType. Under the EmailAddr column, list the email addresses. Under the MemberType column use 'unsub' or 'held' or 'expired' for each email address (depending on the status you want to change them to).
3. In UI, navigate to the Contacts dashboard.
4. Select 'Import Email Contacts' on the top-right. Browse to find your file. Click 'Next'.
5. Map column headers to the appropriate data fields. Click 'Next'.
6. Be sure Import Action menu changed to 'Use Type Setting in CSV file'. Click 'Import'.
When import is complete, double check one or two addresses to be changed to make sure they are now listed as the new status.
1. A sample CSV file to see the setup is attached.
2. These steps work for changing a "normal" or "expired" contact to another status. Contacts who are in "unsubscribed", "held', or "confirm" statuses cannot be updated via this method.